Blackout: a semi-fiction


I came round.

But dared not open my eyes.

My brain throbbed, I could

count my pulse.

My fingertips felt cool

starchy cloth by my side

and across me.

My whole face was now

throbbing as my blood pressure rose.

There were no voices but

I could sense someone’s presence.

They lifted my left hand and

I felt a tugging on my skin.

My face winced which hurt

as my brow and nose furrowed.

My eyes opened with the pain.


Bright white light made my

pupils sting. I squinted through the lids.

The nurse lowered my hand along

with the drip line.

I was laid on my back. Each breath

I took made my ribs crack like a hens egg.

I became very conscious that everything hurt.

There was the familiar smell of

vodka and vomit mixed with

anti-septic disinfectant.

Why always pine or lemon?

I peered out from the smallest gap

I could make in my eyelids.


I tried to inhale enough air

to ask a question. My mouth

and throat were powder dry.

Memory started to drip into my mind.

Just drops at first.

Watching TV, some music thing.

Clearly booze, lager and vodka….

Falling off a bar stool….

The nurse must have sensed my

grappling consciousness.


‘Hey’, she said kindly. ‘You’re safe.’

‘You were found at the bus stop

on Kings Drive and the paramedics

brought you in.’

Kings Drive, I thought, Where the fuck is that?

‘Sounds like you had quite a night.

You were chattering til about an hour ago’

The shadow of dread moved across me.

That cold hollow fear of not remembering.

She continued,

‘You’ve a broken nose,

bruised ribs, some probably broken,

we’re waiting for a space in X-Ray.

Your left leg is a bit of a state too

but we’ve cleaned it up best we can

for now. What happened?’


I stared back blankly.

The memories started to trickle a little.

I was at The Crown. For sure. But I left.

After I fell off the stool? I must’ve

stopped on the way home, to pick

up the vodka.

So I did get home.

Watched the TV…or did I

listen to music? Was the TV at the pub?

I remember dancing. At home.

Drinking vodka from a coffee cup.

Then the bottle.

Why did I go out again? Had I

gone to get more? Or smokes?

Or food? And what the hell had

happened to me?

Fuck, did I really want that answered?

Dread washed over me again and I

started panicking. The horrible

cold sweat of regret, withdrawal

and fear.


‘The police weren’t called ‘cos

you had ID on you. But you might

want to report it in case, I dunno,

someone worked you over?’

My anxiety subsided a little.

No, I don’t want to report it!

What was there to report anyway?

No, I’ll do what I always do,

pretend it didn’t happen.

Christ, I hope no-one I know saw me.

I’ll make up some story and repeat it

to myself and others until it

becomes real. Maybe a hit and run.

Something easier to accept than

the truth. That I’d blacked out again.

That I had no idea what’d happened.

That I could’ve done anything.

Thirteen hours, at a guess, lost down

the bottom of a bottle.


And yet I don’t want to piece

it all back together. I would rather

the oblivion remains. I would

rather not know what I’d done.

Not knowing is easier to forget.

I can put it down to experience,

lie to myself once more. I’ll be

laughing it off in a couple of weeks.

And it will soon be forgotten.

Flesh and bones heal.

But I will forever have that feeling

in the pit of my stomach.

That I don’t know. That I’d lost control.

The paranoia that others know what

I did even though I don’t.

I can’t deal with this.

I just want to go home.

I want to forget that I forgot.

And I’ll do it the best way I know how.

I’ll twist open another bottle,

force the first few mouthfuls down.

Then maybe I’ll be able to think straighter.


I just need to get out of here now,

my heart starting to race. Getting

dressed before the nurse gets back.

I need that drink now. The obsession

returns. Just get some down my neck

and I’ll see things clearer.

My face pulsates, my head spins

as I pull on my coat, pushing my

feet into the vomit stained trainers.

I feel my wallet in my pocket and check.

The relief of seeing a twenty in there!

Putting up my hood I head for the

fire doors, pushing them open

to squeals of alarms.

My panic pushes one foot in front

of the other faster, not looking back,

heading for the first shop I see.

I need to top up my amnesia.

Hangover paranoia is in control now,

just head down, into the store.

The clerk takes the twenty from my

tremoring hand. I don’t even

wait for change, gotta get home.

My door greets me, still open from

last night. I slam it behind me,

but can’t get the key in the barrel

to lock it.

I twist the cap as the seal breaks

and I drink. Three deep swigs and

it burns all the way down.

I collapse onto the bed. Safe.

Is this my rock bottom or

have I still further to fall?

 

Comments